Aromatic, delicious and spicy one pot chicken biryani. This is a beginners recipe and can be made with ease. Chicken biryani is served with raita or salan (gravy).
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Servings||Author|
|1 hour||25 Min||4 people||Swathi|
Marination ingredients for chicken biryani
- ½ kg chicken (or 1.l lbs)
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt (curd or dahi)
- 1 ¼ tablespoons ginger garlic paste or minced & crushed
- Salt as needed (I used about ½ tsp)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric or haldi
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (or paprika) (use less spicy variety)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon garam masala or biryani masala (Refer notes)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice (optional)
Whole spices (skip if you don’t have any)
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 4 green cardamoms or choti elaichi
- 4 to 6 cloves or lavang
- 1 inch Cinnamon or dalchini
- 1 Star anise or chakri phool
- ¾ teaspoon shahi jeera or caraway seeds (substitute with cumin)
- 1 strand mace or javitri
Other ingredients for chicken biryani
- 2 cups basmati rice (aged rice only)
- 2 tablespoon ghee or Oil
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- ¼ to ½ cup mint (or pudina chopped – about 12 to 15 leaves)
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- ¼ cup plain yogurt or curd or dahi
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (optional, skip for kids)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or biryani masala
- 3 cups water or coconut milk (3½ cups if making in pot)
- ¾ teaspoon salt to sprinkle in water
- 2 tablespoon fried onions (optional)
How to make the recipePreparation for chicken biryani
- To a bowl, add curd, ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp salt, biryani masala powder, turmeric & chili powder.
- Mix up well and taste the marinade. Add more salt and spice if needed.
- Make gashes on the chicken. Add it to the marinade & set aside for 1 hour.
- Rinse basmati rice thrice and soak for 30 mins. Drain to a colander after 30 mins.
How to make chicken biryani
- Heat ghee or oil in a cooker or pot.
- Saute whatever whole spices you have – bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, shahi jeera & mace for a minute.
- Fry onions evenly stirring often until light brown.
- Add marinated chicken & saute for 5 mins on a medium heat.
- Cover & cook on a low flame until the chicken is soft cooked or tender.
- Saute to evaporate any excess moisture in the pot.
- Add yogurt (curd), mint, green chili, red chili powder & 1 tsp garam masala.
Layering for chicken biryani
- Mix everything well and layer chicken evenly at the bottom.
- Spread rice in a layer over the chicken.
- Pour 3 cups water or thin coconut milk to a bowl. If cooking in a pot use 3 ½ cups water.
- Add ½ to ¾ tsp salt and mix. Taste the water. It must be slightly salty.
- Pour 2 cups of this water across the sides of the cooker or pot. Gently pour the rest on top of the rice.
- Level the rice if needed. Sprinkle mint & fried onions if using.
- Pot method – If cooking in a pot, cover and cook on a low flame until the chicken biryani is done to your liking. If the rice is still under cooked or hard, sprinkle some hot water and cook further.
- Cooker method – Set the flame to medium high. Cover & place the whistle. Cook for 1 whistle. Move the cooker away from the burner to stop cooking further.
- Rest until the pressure settles. Fluff up the chicken biryani with a fork.
- Serve from top to the bottom layer. Each serving gets biryani rice from top and chicken from the bottom layer.
- Enjoy chicken biryani with raita and sliced veggies, papad and shorba.
Notes on chicken biryani recipe
- Tomatoes: An authentic biryani never uses tomatoes, so I have not used in the recipe. It does not add any taste infact alters the flavor. If you still want to use you an follow the second recipe I have posted below.
- To make biryani masala or garam masala – Powder together very small piece of nutmeg, 5 cardamoms, ½ tsp pepper, 5 cloves, 1 to 2 inch cinnamon, ½ tsp fennel seeds, ½ tsp stone flower.
- Yogurt or curd: Do not use sour curd. If the curd is slightly sour then skip using lemon juice.
- Rice: I have used lalquilla basmati rice, old malai. Any other basmati rice may need less or more water. Make sure to use as needed.